Emerging
Published Aug 5, 2026Updated Aug 5 Major5
97%
Houthis claim ballistic missile strike on Saudi oil tanker Wafa in Red Sea
Yemen's Houthi group claimed it struck the Saudi oil tanker Wafa with ballistic missiles in the northern Red Sea off Yanbu on Wednesday. The attack marked the eighth Saudi tanker targeted since the Houthis began their maritime campaign on July 22, which the group describes as a "blockade-for-blockade" response to what they characterise as a Saudi blockade.
Quick Facts
- Ballistic missile attack on Saudi oil tanker Wafa
- Claimed maritime blockade of Saudi Arabia
- Continued campaign against Saudi-linked shipping
- Rerouting of Saudi vessels to northern Red Sea
- Yemen's Houthi group (Ansar Allah)




Yemen's Houthi group claimed on Wednesday that it struck the Saudi oil tanker Wafa with several ballistic missiles in the northern Red Sea off the coast of Yanbu, a major Saudi port city. Houthi military spokesperson Yahya Sarea said in a televised statement that the strike was precise, though he provided no details on damage or casualties. Saudi authorities made no immediate comment on the claims.
Sarea said the attack was part of the group's declared maritime campaign against Saudi-linked shipping, which the Houthis describe as a "blockade-for-blockade" response. According to Sarea, the latest attack brought to eight the total number of Saudi oil tankers targeted since the campaign began on July 22. He also claimed that 29 additional Saudi oil tankers had been forced to turn back or prevented from passing through the Red Sea and Arabian Sea.
The Houthis announced their maritime ban on Saudi-linked shipping in July, citing what they characterised as a Saudi blockade on Houthi-controlled areas. Sarea stated that Saudi Arabia has been rerouting its vessels to the northern Red Sea in an attempt to bypass the Houthis' blockade of the Bab al-Mandab Strait. He vowed that the group would continue and intensify attacks on Saudi oil tankers in the northern Red Sea to block maritime access routes, stating this would occur "regardless of the consequences."
The incident has raised international concerns over security in the Red Sea and the Bab al-Mandab Strait, both critical global shipping routes. The claims could not be independently verified.
Why This Matters
The claimed strike on Saudi oil infrastructure affects shipping costs and insurance premiums for vessels transiting the Red Sea and Bab al-Mandab Strait, two critical global chokepoints handling approximately 12–15% of worldwide maritime trade. Route diversions and claimed vessel turnarounds may increase transit times and logistics expenses for regional oil exports and international commerce. Security concerns in these waters influence energy markets and supply-chain resilience for Asia, Europe, and Americas-bound goods.
Timeline & Sources
Jul 22, 2026
WireHouthis announced maritime campaign against Saudi-linked shipping
Aug 5, 2026
WireHouthis claimed ballistic missile strike on Saudi oil tanker Wafa in northern Red Sea
Sources
- Flash: Yemen's Houthis claim attacked Saudi oil tanker in Red SeaxinhuaMediaAug 5, 2026
- Urgent: Yemen's Houthis claim missile attack on Saudi oil tanker in Red SeaxinhuaMediaAug 5, 2026
- Yemen’s Houthis claim missile attack on Saudi oil tanker in Red SeatassMediaAug 5, 2026
- Yemen's Houthis claim missile attack on Saudi oil tanker in Red SeaxinhuaMediaAug 5, 2026
- Yemen’s Houthis claim ballistic missile strike on Saudi oil tanker in Red SeaAnadolu AjansıMediaAug 5, 2026