Market
Published Aug 7, 2026Updated Aug 10 Major5
98%
Disney Reworks Scrapped Star Wars Robot Film as Original Sci-Fi Project
Disney cancelled a planned Star Wars film by writer Simon Farnaby and director Paul King centered on a robot with no established franchise ties. The studio asked the creative team to rework the concept as an original science-fiction film instead, reflecting Lucasfilm's strategic shift toward interconnected theatrical storytelling following disappointing box office returns.
Quick Facts
- Star Wars film pitch scrapped
- Robot-centered story concept rejected for lacking Star Wars characters
- Concept reworked as standalone original sci-fi film
- Farnaby and King moved to develop Wonka instead
- Lucasfilm leadership change



Simon Farnaby and Paul King pitched an original Star Wars film centered on a robot character with no ties to established franchise lore to Lucasfilm following the commercial success of Paddington 2. Farnaby, who also co-wrote Wonka, recalled that Lucasfilm insisted the concept needed to feature Star Wars characters to move forward. "They were like, 'We really need it to be a Star Wars movie,' which is probably why it didn't get turned into a Star Wars movie! But we never really nailed it," Farnaby told Variety. The pair subsequently moved on to develop Wonka, released in 2023.
Despite passing on the Star Wars concept, Disney saw potential in the robot-centered story and asked Farnaby and King to rework it as a standalone science-fiction film outside the Star Wars universe. "They basically said, it's not right for Star Wars, but do you want to rework it as a sci-fi film? So we're working on that now," Farnaby explained. The creative team has not yet announced additional details about the reworked project or confirmed whether King will direct the new version.
The cancellation reflects broader strategic shifts at Lucasfilm under new leadership. Kathleen Kennedy departed as Lucasfilm president earlier in 2026, replaced by Dave Filoni. The studio is pivoting away from a streaming-focused model toward blockbuster theatrical releases with interconnected storytelling. This decision comes after The Mandalorian and Grogu, released in May 2026, delivered the franchise's lowest domestic opening weekend at approximately $82 million and earned $345 million globally against a $165 million budget, falling short of profitability.
Farnaby's scrapped Star Wars pitch joins a lengthy list of cancelled Star Wars films in development under Disney's tenure, including projects from directors Patty Jenkins, Taika Waititi, J.D. Dillard, Steven Soderbergh, and Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. The precedent of repurposing rejected Star Wars concepts exists: Zack Snyder developed his Seven Samurai-inspired Lucasfilm pitch into the Netflix film Rebel Moon, though both parts received poor critical reception. Farnaby's track record with Paddington, Paddington 2, and Wonka has drawn comparisons to the success of Disney's robot-centered film WALL-E.
Lucasfilm's current slate includes Ahsoka season two, expected in early 2027, and Shawn Levy's Starfighter, starring Ryan Gosling, set for May 2027. Farnaby previously appeared in the Star Wars universe as Blue Squadron member Farns Monsbee in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, an offer he received while writing Paddington 2.
Topics
Why This Matters
Disney's decision to redirect a Star Wars pitch into an original science-fiction project signals a measurable strategic shift at Lucasfilm: the studio is prioritizing theatrical blockbusters with interconnected storytelling over streaming content and smaller-scale franchise entries. This follows The Mandalorian and Grogu's May 2026 domestic opening of $82 million and global total of $345 million against a $165 million budget—the franchise's lowest theatrical performance under current leadership. The move affects the pipeline of major theatrical releases, with Shawn Levy's Starfighter (May 2027) and Ahsoka season two (early 2027) as the near-term scheduled projects.
Timeline & Sources
Jan 1, 2023
WireWonka releases theatrically
Jan 1, 2024
WireKathleen Kennedy departs as Lucasfilm president; Dave Filoni assumes leadership
Jan 1, 2024
WireThe Mandalorian and Grogu released with lowest domestic opening weekend in Star Wars franchise history
Aug 7, 2026
WireFarnaby reveals to Variety that scrapped Star Wars concept is being reworked as original sci-fi film by Disney
Sources
- Scrapped 'Star Wars' Movie Now Being Made Into Standalone Sci-fi Adventure That'll Rival a Disney ClassicMovieWebMediaAug 7, 2026
- Details On Cancelled Star Wars Film By Simon Farnaby Revealed As It Gets ReworkedBespin BulletinMediaAug 8, 2026
- Star Wars franchise confirms scrapped movie amid box office failureThe IndependentMediaAug 9, 2026
- Star Wars franchise confirms scrapped movie amid box office failureThe IndependentMediaAug 10, 2026
- Wonka writer reveals brutal reason Lucasfilm pulled the plug on his Star Wars movieThe TabMediaAug 10, 2026