Geo
Published Aug 3, 2026Updated Aug 5 Major2
100%
Reform UK's Navy Migrant Plan Draws French Rebuke, Legal Skepticism
Reform UK has proposed using the Royal Navy to intercept migrant boats in the English Channel and return them to French or Belgian ports. France has formally condemned the plan as violating its sovereignty and international law, while legal experts have questioned its legality and feasibility, citing the requirement for French agreement and concerns about violations of maritime law.
Quick Facts
- Proposed deployment of military-crewed inflatable boats from Navy patrol vessels
- Interception of migrant boats crossing the English Channel
- Return of migrants to French or Belgian ports
- Detention of up to 700 people aboard a Bay Class landing ship
- Arrest of migrants by Border Force officers and police




Reform UK has proposed deploying the Royal Navy to intercept migrant boats crossing the English Channel and return them to French or Belgian ports, a plan that has sparked sharp diplomatic and legal criticism. Under the proposal, which the party said it would implement if it came to power, military-crewed inflatable boats deployed from up to 10 Navy patrol vessels would approach migrant dinghies. Border Force officers and police stationed onboard would arrest occupants, who would then be returned by Navy personnel or Royal Marines, with a Bay Class landing ship providing detention capacity for up to 700 people.
France's interior ministry issued a formal statement condemning the plan, declaring it would "constitute a violation of French sovereignty, as well as a violation of the law of the sea and international law." Reform UK leadership, led by Nigel Farage and home affairs spokesman Zia Yusuf, has defended the proposal as a humanitarian rescue operation rather than a violation of international law. Farage claimed attitudes in France toward the idea were "softening" and said he had spoken to unnamed French politicians about it. When asked what would happen if France refused to accept returns, Yusuf stated that "His Majesty's Royal Marines will disembark them safely on the very shore they left that morning."
Legal experts and maritime specialists have raised significant concerns about the plan's viability and legality. James Turner KC, a maritime lawyer, stated that while the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) allows states to prevent immigration law violations in a "contiguous zone" up to 24 nautical miles from their coasts, it does not entitle a country to "collect asylum seekers in its contiguous zone—or anywhere else—and take them back to the state they set off from." Andrew Serdy, an expert on international law of the sea at the University of Southampton, noted the plan "would require the agreement of France, which is a bold assumption to make, as there is no reason to expect it to agree." Colin Yeo, an immigration barrister, characterized such action as "a violation of French sovereignty and an illegal act of international aggression."
The proposal draws comparisons to Operation Isotrope, launched by Boris Johnson's government in 2022, which included consideration of "pushback" operations. Those plans were abandoned after military figures raised concerns that pushbacks would be impractical, dangerous, and expose naval officers to legal liability. Reform has emphasized that its plan differs from pushbacks because it involves rescue and return rather than forced turning back. Former navy captain John Foreman noted that mariners have an obligation to "rescue people at sea in distress and to not create conditions for putting them in distress."
Opposition parties have branded the plan unworkable. A Labour minister stated it would lead to "a lot of time arguing with France" rather than "actually getting to grips with the problem." The French interior ministry noted that existing measures agreed with the UK and "operations deployed at the local level" had already resulted in reduced crossings compared to the same period in 2025. The proposal reflects ongoing tension over small boat crossings in the English Channel, with more than 2,000 migrants arriving in the UK via small boats in the fortnight following Andy Burnham becoming prime minister.
Why This Matters
The proposal, if implemented, would shift UK migration policy toward military interception and forced return of migrants in a contested maritime zone, creating a direct legal and diplomatic conflict with France over sovereignty and international maritime obligations. French refusal would leave the UK without a destination for returned migrants, exposing Royal Navy personnel to potential legal liability and creating operational deadlock. Existing 2022 pushback operations were abandoned after military objections; this plan tests whether those constraints have shifted and signals renewed UK-France tension over Channel crossings, which have seen over 2,000 arrivals in recent weeks.
Timeline & Sources
Jan 1, 2022
WireBoris Johnson government launches Operation Isotrope to attempt to make Channel crossing unviable; pushback plans abandoned due to military concerns
Aug 3, 2026
WireReform UK announces Operation Fortress proposal to use Navy to intercept and return migrants
Aug 3, 2026
WireFrance's interior ministry formally condemns the plan as violating sovereignty and international law